Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mothering God

A long overdue post (between trips to Guatemala, Belize, and exotic places like Nebraska and New Jersey, I've been out of touch)!
Here are the words to the song "Mothering God," all the way back from May:

Mothering God, you gave me birth, in the bright morning of this world.
Creator, source of every breath, you are my rain, my wind, my sun.
Mothering Christ, you took my form, offering me your food of light,
Grain of life, and grape of love, your very body for my peace.
Mothering Spirit, nurturing one, in arms of patience hold me close,
Go that in faith I root and grow until I flow'r, until I know.

(Jean Janzen, based on the writings of Juliana of Norwich, 15th Century)

Also, a link that describes some of the background of this hymn, which has been somewhat controversial:
http://www.umportal.org/article.asp?id=5704

No comments:

Post a Comment