Saturday, January 30, 2010

Liberated from place

I was just reading an article for one of my classes that discussed the changes in rural, small town communities in the U.S. as they become suburbanized. I thought one quote was relevant to my post about "home" a few weeks ago:
"Some question, why, despite having been liberated from place, we as a nation still search for some idealized place to live equivalent to an agrarian community, where one is known, attached, nurtured, or can sustain a coherent identity." (Sonya Salamon)
We are conflicted, placing such a high value on mobility and being "liberated from place," yet we also yearn for home and community, somewhere we belong. I, for one, am not necessarily drawn to the idea of a rural, small-town community, and yet I do yearn for the idea of a place where I am "known, attached, nurtured." I think that's why I appreciated Wendell Berry's Jayber Crow so much. Berry is in touch with place, with bringing us back to choosing a place, and committing, acknowledging both the joys and difficulties that go along with that action.
I'm still not there quite yet, but I am pondering nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment