Thursday, February 3, 2011

Living Simplicity

"Some people seem to think that a life dedicated to simplicity and service is austere and joyless, but they do not know the freedom of simplicity. I am thankful to God every moment of my life for the great riches that have been showered upon me. My life is full and good but never overcrowded. If life is overcrowded then you are doing more than is required for you to do."

Source: Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words

Oops. My life is overcrowded. There is no doubt about that. Living simplicity is quite challenging in our modern day American society. Particularly when you are a grad student, when you are passionate about so many things, when there are so many exciting opportunities, so many urgent needs, so many wonderful people to meet and connect with.

I admit it, I pack my schedule. From morning to evening, I am trying to squeeze it all in- coffee with friends and interesting people, my internship, a part-time job, service and actions that addresses social justice issues, class, readings, papers, yoga, prayer, etc. etc. It is fulfilling, interesting, exciting, but it is not simple.

The last part of the above quote challenges me- "If life is overcrowded then you are doing more than is required for you to do." Wow. How do you discern then, I wonder? What do you cut out? I am constantly evaluating and re-evaluating my schedule and how I am choosing to spend my time. But am I prayerful about every "yes" I say, everything I get involved in? Probably not as prayerful as I should be.

I was talking with a friend recently who is very involved in social justice issues- he is often attending protests, prayer services,and social actions. He is someone I admire because he is so aware of these issues, constantly engaging in the questions of how to make our country and our world more just. I mentioned an advocacy day I had recently participated in, and he replied (as if to himself), "You just can't get involved in everything. Sometimes you just have to trust that others are doing good work in addressing the areas you can't address. And then you just pray." What a wise statement. Maybe it is second-nature for most people, but I have to be reminded. I have to be reminded that it is okay not to be involved in everything. No one can singlehandedly save the world. The body of Christ is a body made of many parts because we all have different passions, different issues we bring awareness to, different roles. When we keep that in focus, we are able to live lives that are less overcrowded, more simple.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Cala! Praying for you as you discern how to embrace simplicity amidst so many good things in life! Always a challenge, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda!
    ...And here is my aunt's post:
    Ah yes, this is an issue I have dealt with most of my adult life. But it is true, "the good robs from the best." And so we want to be doing the best things God has for us to do...the things He has chosen for us...the things He has called us to. This is not simple! This takes time and prayer and slowing down enough to hear God say, "This is the way, walk in it." But when we run around like chickens, dashing here and there, engaging, talking, it is hard to hear over the din. Also, we don't want to impede what someone else is called to, but filling their spot. "What is it Lord you have chosen me to do? Who have you meant me to be for you? What is my purpose? Speak, your servant is listening..."

    ReplyDelete