Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Growth in various settings

Sometimes tutoring children can be really frustrating. I feel like I am constantly "making" kids do things they don't want to do. Things that they have to do- like reading and math. After a long day of school, the last thing they want to do is sit some more and do homework. But it must be done, and so there I am, telling them to sit down and shut up (usually in more polite terms, of course).

This semester has been very busy, and after tutoring I would often be frantically driving to either school or a counseling session. I had to switch gears very fast- from tutor/mentor to student, or counselor, depending on the day. These are all very different roles, and approaching a similar situation will look extremely different depending on my current role. Example- a kid acts out and refuses to do their homework. As a tutor, I use a sticker and prize system to motivate them. If that doesn't work, I call their parents. As a counselor, though, I explore their feelings about homework, get to the root of the problem, use art and play techniques to help them gain new skills. (Ahhh, if only I had time to take that approach during tutoring!)

Today, my first week without classes, I did not have to switch gears so quickly. Instead, I was able to bring kids to the Catholic Worker garden to plant and water flowers. It was so refreshing! In place of telling the children to sit down, stay inside, do their homework, I was able to tell them to dig a hole, plant a flower, water the garden. And they were so excited! It was heart-warming to see children take pride in their neighborhood, making it more beautiful.

I was quickly reminded- This is why I do what I do- to build relationships with kids, to help them grow, to help them learn, to help them learn to grow on their own. Whether it's the frustrating, yet important chore of finishing homework, the hope-instilling job of counseling, or the fun and exciting new skill of planting, these are all parts of empowering children and the community. I'm looking forward to more opportunities for growth throughout the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment